The Nest is a peaceful, sun-washed timber-frame building located next to the Boreal Centre for Bird Conservation within beautiful Lesser Slave Lake Provincial Park. Currently closed for renovations including the installation of grid-tied solar panels, a new deck, new flooring and more, The Nest will reopen in the spring of 2014 under the management of Alberta Parks.
During our first year under new management, The Nest will be offered as a comfort camping experience from late May to mid-October. The Nest will no longer be operated as a hostel, meaning that you and your party will have full run of the building without having to share it with strangers!
Staying at The Nest means you’ll be able to:
- Explore scenic lakeshore trails and self-guided hikes
- Witness an abundance of wildlife, often right on your doorstep
- Discover the secluded lakeshore
- Delight in long summer evenings and spectacular sunsets
- Book a banding lab tour at the nearby Lesser Slave Lake Bird Observatory
- Take in the exhibits and interpretive programs at the BCBC, or
- Just kick back and relax!
And, of course … there’s plenty of bird watching!
The Nest has room for 10 guests with four bunk-bed rooms and two queen-bed rooms. In addition, it has two washrooms with showers and a large common room with full kitchen facilities and fireplace. Outside is a large deck with barbeque, firepit and picnic table.
For more details about The Nest, please visit The Nest Comfort Camping.
To check the rate and book your stay at The Nest, please visit Alberta Parks Reservations.
The 2014 operating season will be used to gauge whether Alberta Parks can also offer accommodations at The Nest during the shoulder seasons and winter months. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we move through this period of transition. Alberta Parks looks forward to hosting you in summer 2014!